Stretch marks also known as striae. Stretch marks forms when there is rapid growth of the body. Such as during puberty or pregnancy, they usually occur on the belly, thighs, hips, lower back.
Stretch marks can also be formed by hormonal changes due to puberty, pregnancy, body building. Once the stretch marks form they will not disappear completely. There is no evidence that creams used during pregnancy prevent stretch marks.
Stretch marks tend to be red, purple, pink, reddish brown. It depends on your skin color. It appears mostly in places like larger amount of fat are stored. Common places like upper arms, under arms, back , lips, thighs. The effected areas appear empty and are soft to texture sometimes they can cause a burning or itching sensation.
What causes stretch marks
Stretch marks are caused by skin stretching and an increase of Cortisone in your system. Cortisone is a hormone that is produced by adrenal glands. Having too much of this hormone can make your skin lose its elasticity.
- Women experiences stretch marks more than men. During pregnancy many women experiences stretch marks because of rapid expansion as well as sudden weight gain.
- Sudden changes in body can appear stretch marks like rapid gain or lose weight
- Applying a corticosteroid to your skin for long time can also cause stretch marks.
Do stretch marks go away
Stretch marks are a form of scaring on skin. Which an off color hue over tie they may diminish, but will not disappear completely.
How to prevent stretch marks
Stretch marks cannot be prevented completely, There is no evidence that creams used during pregnancy prevent stretch marks. There is no effective treatment for stretch marks.
Tips to reduce stretch marks
- Control your weight:
Managing your weight is the most helpful thing you can do to prevent stretch marks. Because stretch marks appear after rapid weight gain or rapid weight loss. So to prevent stretch marks we have to maintain constant body weight. Maintain healthy weight and exercise to help you manage your weight. You have to maintain your weight weather you’re pregnant or not. Because stretch marks is more noticeable in pregnancy or puberty.
2.Stay hydrated :
Always keep your body hydrated it can reduce so many problems in body. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water per day. Drinking enough water can keep your skin hydrated and soft. Generally stretch marks occur more for dry skin when compare to soft skin.
3. Eat a nutrient-rich diet:
Eating food which contain nutrients can help to boost skin. Lack of nutrients can also occur stretch marks.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a important nutrient for development of collagen. Collagen keeps your skin strong and elastic. Collagen helps to reduce wrinkles, But it may also prevent stretch marks. Vitamin C can be found in fruits and vegetables, such as oranges and lemons etc.
- Vitamin D: In research found correlation between low level of Vitamin D and stretch marks. In that study the result suggest that maintaining healthy levels of vitamin D may help to reduce stretch marks. We can easily get Vitamin D by exposure to sun.
- Zinc: Eating food which contain zinc keeps your skin healthy so it may reduce stretch marks. Zinc rich foods like nuts and fish may help to keep your skin healthy.
Treat fresh stretch marks when they appear
Once stretch marks are formed they cannot be prevented completely. But we can minimize them so they aren’t as noticeable in long run.
Medical treatments for stretch marks
Stretch marks cannot be prevented completely but can fade with tie. If you want to prevent stretch marks there are some treatments available.
- Tretinoin cream (Retina A, Reno VA) helps to restore collagen, Collagen keeps your skin strong and elastic. It is better to use this cream on recent stretch marks that are red or pink. Avoid using this cream if you are pregnant. This cream may cause skin irritation.
- Laser therapy is another option for reducing stretch marks. Laser therapy helps to improve collagen or elastin in your skin, Doctors will recommend to choose the kind that is right for you.
- Fractional photo thermolysis is also a dye laser therapy. It helps for small areas of stretch marks.
- The excimer laser stimulates skin color production, so that stretch marks match the surrounding skin more closely.
Home remedies for stretch marks
- Vitamin A : Vitamin A is referred to as retinoid. Retinoid used in many cosmetic cream. It makes skin appear smooth. Use products which contain vitamin A or take diet which contains vitamin A like carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Sugar : Rubbing a sugar scrub on skin will exfoliate the area
- Mix 1 cup of sugar with 1/4 cup of oils like almond oil or coconut oil.
- add some lemon juice.
- Scrub on the part of your body where you have stretch marks.
- Rub for 8-10 minutes.
- Apply for thrice a week.
3.Aloe vera: Aloe vera helps to make your skin softer. Softer skin has lower changes to get stretch marks then dry skin aloe vera is natural healing agent for stretch marks.
4. Hyaluronic acid: Collagen is protein we need to maintain in our body. Collagen helps to be healthy. It decreases in our face and our body as we get older. Collagen production ca be stimulated with hyaluronic acid.
5. Coconut oil: Pure coconut oil helps to heal appearance of stretch marks very quickly. Coconut oil is best in healing properties. Apply pure coconut oil everyday after having bath, it take away some red appearance.
Best oils to prevent stretch marks
Stretch marks are common and they may appear on thighs, shoulder, hip, back etc. It mainly appears when there is sudden changes in body. There are some oils help to reduce their appearance and texture.
Argan oil is made from argan tree kernels. Argan oil helps to increase skin’s elasticity so it helps to prevent stretch marks.
2. Gotu kola:
Gotu kola is famous ayurveda medicine it is used in traditional chinese medicine. It helps to increase collagen and improve skin texture.
3. Rosehip oil:
Rosehip oil is made from fruits or “seeds” of roses. According to study, Rosehip oil prevents stretch marks in pregnant women.
4. Bitter almond oil:
Bitter almond oil comes from different types of almond trees. Bitter oil contains toxic compounds. It absorbed by skin. It helps to prevent stretch marks.
5. pomegranate oil:
pomegranate oil is made from pomegranate seeds. It helps to increase skin thickness, elasticities and collagen. It may helps to prevent the appearance of stretch marks.